Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves: 2 adults and 1 baby
- 250g potatoes (2 small potatoes)
- 250g salmon
- 1tbsp chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of peas and sweetcorn
- 1 egg, beaten
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 thick slices of bread (toasted)
- Dash of oil and a little butter for frying
- Peel and cut potatoes, stick them in boiling water in a microwavable dish and cook on full power for about 10 minutes. (or cook on hob).
- Whilst potatoes are cooking, heat milk in a pan so that it is ½ cm up the pan side, add the fish. Simmer the fish for 5 minutes with a lid on. Drain and pat dry with kitchen towelling. Flake the fish and ensure there are no bones in the fish.
- Blitz the bread into breadcrumbs with a handheld blender and pour onto a plate.
- Mash the potatoes with a knob of butter, herbs, lemon zest and black pepper. Stir in the fish, veg and a little of the egg.
- Pour remaining egg into a plate
- Flour your hands, then take small amounts of the mixture and shape. Dip each fish cake into the egg then roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, turn to medium heat then place all fishcakes into the dish at once and cook for 5 mins on each side.
Weaning: This is fine to give babies from six months.
Tip: Keep 1/3 of one salmon to use the following day on bagels with cream cheese. I also separate the fish cakes and add chili flakes to give a kick for adult versions.
Source: baby-led weaning cookbook
Share this post