This is super tasty and combines the best of the recipes that I’ve discovered while taking into account the recipe is for babies and young children.
Prep time: 45 mins, cooking time: 40-45 minutes (allow 2 hours in total to make this)
Feeds: 6 adult servings, a bunch of baby servings so plenty to go in the freezer
The Bolognese ingredients
- 1kg lean Mince Beef
- 90g of bacon lardons
- 2 small-medium sized onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g Tin of tomatoes
- Several fresh tomatoes (optional)
- 400g Tin of Butterbeans (optional but all babies I know, love them!)
- 1 tbsp of oats (optional, this makes it go further)
- 1 Bay leaf, sprinkling of Oregano, basil and pepper to taste.
- 2 cups of milk
- 200g Tomato purée
If you want to only make 500g, just cut veg down by half too.
- Chop vegetables into chunks then blast the food processor
- Heat oil in pan, cook veg on low along with the finely chopped garlic.
- Move veg to edge of pan and cook the bacon lardons
- If you have a small pan, remove veg and bacon and add beef, cook on low
- Stir in 100g of tomato puree, keep stirring for 1 minute so thoroughly mixed in (add veg in again if necessary)*
- Add in herbs, 1 cup of milk and the tin of tomatoes and butter beans
- Cook on low on the hob for a further 30-40 minutes until it starts to look creamy. Stir occasionally and if the sauce can take it, add the remaining milk.
*if your baby isn’t keen on the mincemeat texture, at this point, puree the mince and veg at this stage. Then add the butter beans.
Cheese sauce ingredients
- 500ml milk
- 50g plain flour
- Tbs of cream cheese (optional)
- 30g grated cheese
- A little nutmeg
Cheese sauce method
- To make sauce: add flour and milk to pan, cook on a low heat, stir very frequently and as it gets warmer, try to stir constantly to ensure it doesn’t go lumpy.
- Add cheese (leave a little to sprinkle on the top), cook on low for a few more minutes.
- Add a couple of spoons of the Bolognese
- Add the sheets of pasta
- Couple of spoons of cheese sauce
- Repeat until dish full, finish with a layer of pasta and cheese sauce over the top
- Sprinkle with cheese and a little nutmeg
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes until golden.
Weaning: Babies can eat this from 6 months old, but will probably find it quite hard to feed themselves. You can swap the sheets of pasta for big twirly pasta and mix.
Share this post