This is a great base for lots of recipes. I always make a large quantity so that I can freeze a batch. I used to add wine to this recipe just after the tomato puree but I don’t think it is missed. This is an ideal dish for babies from around 9-months-old.
Prep time: 30 mins, cooking time: 2 hours
Feeds: 8 adult servings, a bunch of baby servings so plenty to go in the freezer
- 1kg lean Mince Beef
- 2 small-medium sized onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g Tin of tomatoes
- Several fresh tomatoes (optional)
- 400g Tin of Butterbeans (optional but all babies I know, love them!)
- 1 tbsp of oats (optional, this makes it go further)
- 1 Bay leaf, sprinkling of Oregano, basil and pepper to taste.
- 2 cups of milk
- 200g Tomato purée
- Chop vegetables into chunks then blast the food processor
- Heat oil in pan, cook veg on low along with the finely chopped garlic
- If you have a small pan, remove veg and add meat, cook on low
- Stir in 100g of tomato puree, keep stirring for 1 minute so thoroughly mixed in (add veg in again if necessary)
- Add in herbs, 1 cup of milk and the tin of tomatoes and butter beans
- Transfer into a pot and cook in oven on 180C for 2 hours. Every 30 mins, add more milk.
Weaning: This is a great dish from six-months-old but possibly easier for the baby to get stuck into this from around 9-months-old. Since then, it has been a firm favourite. Spaghetti or big pasta tubes is the easiest pasta to start with. Just a warning, it’s a messy business though….!
Tip: I love cooking Bolognese in my Le Creuset dish, the milk combined with this pan make it really creamy. However, if you need to go out, cook this in the Slow Cooker for 4 hours on High, you make need to adjust the amount of liquid in it as you won’t need as much.
Recipes: This can also be used and adapted for lasagne, Cottage Pie, Chilli Con Carne. If you want to only make 500g, just cut veg down by half too.
We know what a pain it is to scrub at your baby's clothes each day, so my husband and I designed a lightweight baby bib. The bib covers clothes from your baby's neck to their toes and is tight at the cuffs. Check out our range of Small Coverall bibs. Our Large Coveralls and Aprons are perfect for toddlers to 6 years olds. Our fabric is as light as a feather so it doesn't hinder their movements.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: bibs that work, BLW, Bolognese, Dinner, pasta, pasta bolognese, weaning bib, weaning recipe