This was so much easier to make than I expected! This sauce can make a few recipes – with pasta one evening and then served on bread with salmon the next.
- 50g Pine nuts – cut very finely
- 50g bunch of basil, leaves only
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 35g finely grated parmesan cheese or other mature cheeses
- Roughly 100ml of extra virgin olive oil
- A good squeeze of lemon juice
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Lightly toast the nuts for 5 minutes (keep your eye on them as they can easily burn).
- Add the nuts into a food processor with the basil, garlic and cheese. Blitz to a paste. As the motor is still running, slowly add the olive oil.
- Add in the lemon and pepper to taste.
Weaning: This pesto sauce can be mixed into pasta, spread in pitta to create ‘pesto pockets’. This recipe can be given to babies from six-months-old. If your baby has eczema or asthma, then it may be more likely to be allergic to nuts. Therefore, it’s worth speaking with your GP before introducing nuts into your baby’s diet.
Source: River Cottage
No need to fear green! We know what a pain it is to scrub at your baby's clothes each day, so my husband and I designed a lightweight baby bib. The bib covers clothes from your baby's neck to their toes and is tight at the cuffs. Check out our range of bibs here
Share this post