This super soup is full of iron so a superb dinner for a growing baby! I've also pushed this recipe to friends who are breastfeeding and pregnant too. My mother-in-law was a little intimidated by the “toxic looking colour” but was surprised how good it tasted! I’ll take that as a win.
You can freeze this soup in small cartons to serve at a later date and also mix it with some pasta to use as a pasta sauce.
I came across this recipe on Instagram by ‘babyledfeeding.com’ and absolutely love it! I have slightly adapted it – mainly to make it quicker to produce! ;)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 10 adults – I always like to make extra so I can batch freeze.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 litre homemade chicken stock / stock cube
- 1 medium head of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 2 sticks of celery chopped
- 1 bag of Kale
- 1 bag of pre-washed spinach
- ½ tsp of cumin
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbps natural yoghurt (optional)
- Small bunch of parsley
- Cook the onion in the olive oil and once softening add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the flour and quick stir to absorb, it will look like a white sticky paste.
- Add half of the chicken stock and stir in with a whisk then add the rest
- Add the broccoli, celery, peas and simmer for 10 mins.
- Take off the heat and add the bags of kale and most of the spinach, pepper and cumin.
- Blitz with a food processor. You can also add to a liquidiser if you want it to be totally smooth.
To serve, add a little yoghurt and parsley.
Weaning: babies can eat this from six-months–old.
Source: Babyledfeeding.com. Check out their website for more great recipes.
We know what a pain it is to scrub at your baby's clothes each day, so my husband and I designed a lightweight baby bib. The bib covers clothes from your baby's neck to their toes and is tight at the cuffs. Check out our range of Small Coverall bibs. Our Large Coveralls and Aprons are perfect for toddlers to 6 years olds. Our fabric is as light as a feather so it doesn't hinder their movements.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: baby led feeding, baby-led weaning, blw, dinner, Lunch, soup, Spinach and kale soup, weaning, weaning recipe