These are a great idea to bake if you have a bag of spinach left over and need to think of more creative ways to use it up!
These muffins are fab as you can stick them in the freezer and just get them out one at a time. I like to warm them in the microwave for a few mins and the cheese will go gooey again!
Prep time: 20 mins (getting into cases takes 5 mins)
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 300g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp of mustard powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 75g butter
- 185g grated cheese
- 60g of baby spinach
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250ml milk
- Sieve the flour and spices
- Mix the butter in (use your fingers and rub until like bread crumbs)
- Mix in the cheese and spinach
- Stir in the milk and egg
- A good dessert spoon per cake case – makes about 30 for me
- Sprinkle parmesan or regular cheese on the tops
- Bake for 20 mins on 180c fan oven
- Put them on a cooling rack
*you don’t have to include the spices, but if you do, don’t worry as they aren’t strong.
Weaning: I first gave my daughter these savoury cakes from about 8 months.
Play: My daughter is 3 and a bit – I try to get everything already weighed in the bowls so she can just stick it all in. She can get impatient if she has to wait too long so I find it more enjoyable if I’m ahead of the game! It does get messy - especially the bit when she is rubbing the flour and butter together but the Apron keeps her clothes clean.
Source: adaptation of Tana Ramsay (Gordon’s wife) Ham and Cheese muffins
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: apron, baby bibs, baby-led weaning, bib, bibs that work, BLW, breakfast, Cheese and Spinach Muffins, lunch, messy little thing, savoury muffins, Snack, toddler lunch, weaning, weaning bib