I use a very descriptive title because if I see ‘muffin’, I expect flour to be in them!
When I was weaning my daughter, I cooked the equivalent Frittatas on the hob and even if I washed up straight away, a fried smell always seemed to linger. So since I’ve discovered these little beauties, they not only look better, smell better, they are easier to clean up afterwards. They can also be kept in the fridge and frozen for older kids.
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes prep
Cooking time: 15 minutes cooking
- 4 medium free range eggs
- A handful of frozen peas
- A handful of grated cheddar cheese
- 50ml of breast or whole milk
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Grease the insides of a 12 bun fairy cake tin with extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the frozen peas
- Meanwhile add the eggs, cheese and milk to a bowl with and whisk together
- Once the peas are cooked, drain them and stir into the mixture
- Pour the mixture into the fairy cake tin filling each well to the top
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (180c) for 15 minutes
- Place them on a cooling rack
Tips: I think peppers, mushrooms and ham also work. They keep in the fridge for a few days (if baby over 12 months) and also freeze rather well wrapped in cling film. They can then be reheated in the microwave for about 30 seconds, although note babies will probably be just as happy with the muffin at room temperature.
Weaning: 6+ months
Play: This recipe is great because it’s so quick and easy, so for a little one with a short attention span, it's perfect! It really does only take 10 minutes to prepare so they stay interested for long enough to make them.
Share this post
- 2 comments
- Tags: 6 month old baby recipe, baked egg recipe, muffins, savoury muffins, weaning recipe