Getting your kids onto soup early is a great idea, because it's so versatile. Warming on a winters' day, it gives you the opportunity to use up any leftover veg and add if you add pulses (e.g. red lentils) or meat it becomes a hearty meal. Yes, it can be messy with children who've only just started to wean but make it thick and give them bread to dip in it and it could become a staple lunchtime meal.
I tend to blend all my soups so it doesn't matter too much how finely I chop the veg. If you want a chunky soup, then chop the vegetables to the size you wish. Pureed soup does have the advantage of being thicker and therefore less easy to spill though!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30-45 mins
N.B. be prepared to freeze some of this soup, it'll feed a couple of adults and children approximately two times over.
- Splash of oil or knob of unsalted butter
- One whole medium sized pumpkin or large butternut squash, peeled and deseeded and chopped
- A couple of cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- One onion, chopped
- A couple of sticks of celery, chopped
- Four large carrots, peeled and chopped
- Two teaspoons of cumin
- Half a teaspoon of ground black pepper (optional)
- Two low salt vegetable stock cubes made up with 2 pints of water or two pints of homemade stock
- Fry the onion in the oil/ butter gently for about 3 minutes until it starts to go transparent
- Add the garlic, celery, cumin and black pepper and fry for 3 more minutes
- Add the carrots and pumpkin/ butternut squash, stir
- Add enough stock to cover all vegetables and stir
- Simmer on a low heat for about 20 mins then check that there is still enough stock covering the veg
- Add more stock and stir if required.
- Simmer for about 30-45 minutes or until all vegetables are soft
- Blend if a smooth chunk-free soup is preferred
Weaning: This is great to give babies from six months, just don't put the highchair to close to any new curtains...
Tip: If you're eating this soup with your child, you might want to add a bit of salt to your bowl. It's not good for you, but it does enhance the flavour of the soup!
Share this post
- 1 comment
- Tags: 6 month old baby recipe, 8-month-old weaning recipe, BLW, Dinner, Lunch, Pumpkin Soup, soup, weaning